During our Mommy and Daniel time today Daniel got to choose his playtime activity, so I found myself playing Lego Indiana Jones on the Wii. It was worth it when he shot me and laughed until he cried, then I got to stab him with a dagger... that's when the smack-talk started. Someone's been teaching my little man some serious smack-talk. Mostly, it was funny. :)
We went out for some lunch, even though he just wanted to keep playing Wii. On our drive, we talked about being excited for school. Science is what Daniel is looking forward to the most, and getting some HOMEWORK. Finally. (sorry buddy... you're Montessori. There isn't homework, not really. But, I will totally remind you of this when you are 13. Just sayin.) So I reminded him that he had homework over the summer... he was supposed to journal every day. I wouldn't say that it happened every day... or even every week. But we did do some journaling. I read recently about how you can spark an interest in journaling by each writing a sentence in a book... I start with one, he replies. It could be questions, or statements. Oh! The ideas started to come fast and furious once he caught on. It was decided that we would get 3 journals. One would be just random stuff. "Hey. You have bed-head today" "Thanks for the go-gurts." Stuff like that. The 2nd will be for our 'story' We plan to start it by writing "An adventure started when...." then the next person needs to fill something in.
Daniel also wants a 3rd book. We talked about how Daniel could write whatever he wanted to write. How even if there were things that he didn't think he could say to me, he could write them down, and I would respond. Or not. He could just have a space to say that he didn't like something, or he disagreed with me. This one he thinks we should keep private. That only he and I are allowed to read it. "Like, we could share the other one mom. The silly stuff, and the story with like, anyone. Dad, Aunt Melissa, anyone really. But the other one, we should just make that ours."
I think I felt my heart fall out. What an amazing opportunity for communication... What an amazing child I am so privileged to know, and to watch grow.
Gonna go buy a journal... sorry. You can't read it. It's for just me and my little man.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment