Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A week in the life...

Although it started with the best of intentions, my 2010 week in the life album plans got entirely derailed. I did manage to get some stuff written down here, and I did take some photos which might (I say MIGHT) someday be hobbled together to form a coherent cronological week in our life, I'm pretty much sure that's never going to happen. I might (I say MIGHT) edit the images one day.... might upload them. But again, that's never going to happen.

So, for the end of the school year of 2009-2010. The Kindergarten Year. The Preschool At Belle Valley (which was very confusing) Year. The First Year I didn't work all damn Year. I give you a daily schedule: (the morning version, because I'm tired, and just waiting for animoto to finish a client video)

5(ish) am - (or earlier) Mark is gone
(someone tell me what the name of his early morning disease is, and give me a pill to slip in to his coffee to cure it. Thank you.)
I realize he is gone because I need to pee.
5:23 am - I finally get up and pee.
6:45 am - I hear Daniel moving.
7:10 am - I hear Daniel singing, then remember he's supposed to be quiet, and hush.
7:25 am - Daniel's clock tells him he can get up. Apparently, it is set 5 minutes earlier than the clock in my bedroom, because I tried to carefully plan it so that I didn't see him before 7:30... FAIL.
7:25 am - (and two seconds) Daniel opens the door and says 'Can I be up Mom?' I reply ' meriwrhoy soidfy lthehrwn.' which he correctly interprets as "Go Potty, watch cartoons and BE QUIET."
7:50 am - I realize if I don't get up, the whole morning will crash and burn around me.
7:52 am - start unwrapping Matthew from his cocoon of covers. This creates a violent stirring, kicking and stretching, followed immediately by re-curling into a tight ball, and ignoring me.
7:53 am - "Matthew. Daniel is watching Fetch. Do you want to sleep, or have mommy carry you to watch cartoons?" (this is when he puts his arms up, eyes still closed, and gives me the 'come here' gesture')
7:55 am - Waffles are in the toaster, milk is on the table, bacon (or sausage) is in the microwave, and I'm peeling little cuties oranges.
8:10 am - Boys are eating breakfast with strict instructions. Eat it all. Clean your place. Get your school clothes and put them on. Stop watching cartoons.
I am finally able to shower, and regain some form of consciousness. Please. Don't ask how I manage to cook edible food while still asleep. There are things best left unknown.
8:30 am - dressed. drying my hair (they are still watching cartoons, and turn up the volume since I am apparently making too much noise). I turn off the dryer and yell: "Turn it OFF and come brush your teeth you heathens! (the 'you heathens' is just in my head). I put the toothpaste on their brushes and move out of the way into the hallway where I finish drying my hair.
8:40 am - 15 minute warning. I set a timer, otherwise I will completely forget that we're supposed to go to school. I check email, yell at them to make their beds, tell Matthew to FOCUS and put his clothes on his body. Daniel, Do you have socks on? No? Well, get some. (Matthew: Can I pweese have some help? answer 1: No. You can do that yourself. answer 2: Yes, I will turn that right side to for you). (Daniel: can we play now? I don't know. Did you make your bed? Yes. Do you have socks on? Yes. What is your brother doing? I don't know..... ..... Matthew is playing) MATTHEW COLE. "What?" Are you dressed? No. Did you make your bed? No. Why are you playing? I do not know. I fix it.
8:55 am - BEEP. Time to go. I haven't packed Daniel's lunch, so I pretend like it is all part of the plan to do that while they get their shoes on.
9:00 am - You boys go downstais. I can't find my keys/shoes/purse/phone. I'll be down in a minute.
9:02 am - Found. Pulling out of the driveway. "Boys. Are you buckled?" Daniel: Yes. Matthew: silence. "Matthew. Are you buckled?" No. "Are you trying?" No. (stop the car). "You need to get buckled Matthew. Daniel, can you help him?" I do not need your help Danol! "Matthew, let him help you so we can go!" Click. "I buckled mom." "Thank you Matthew."
9:05 am - A fight over hangman has started.
9:08 am - I pull into the parking lot, and wonder if I will survive without snapping for the next two minutes until they can leave the car and go in to school.
9:10 am - Mom! It's time! "I know Daniel. Have a good day. Matthew? Do you have your backpack? Ok. I love you" (sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll get some air kisses.)
9:12 am - Huh. Something is missing, and all is quiet.

Now what? Mostly I have a plan, and a huge to do list (how did I ever do this and work? Insane). But sometimes, my PLAN is NOTHING...

No comments:

Post a Comment