In the last 4+ months, I have hauled away over 20 carloads of stuff from our house:
packing peanuts, styrofoam, dining table, unused wedding gifts, old clothing, shoes, books, some baby toys, kitchen sets, patio furniture, and more books... more... more...
Although it just started casually, this idea has gained momentum and desire in my heart. The idea that we could have a minimalist lifestyle seems laughable at first - we are a family of consumers! But I simply wanted more SPACE. I wanted to stop shoving things inside spaces that were already full. I wanted to stop seeing clothes from two other lives in my closet. I wanted to GET RID of things I stared at each day, knowing for sure we would never use them.
There is still a very long way to go on this journey. I see things each day that I think - someone else could use that more than us; that needs to go; that doesn't function well - what can I get instead that will function better? What else can I get rid of? I've really enjoyed this process, it makes me feel almost competent as a homemaker. :) Each week, I would set a goal to fill the back of the Rav with stuff - then when it was full I'd spend a morning driving it where it needed to go, selling it on consignment, or donating it to people or places who would make use of it.
I've tried the opposite - where you stop bringing stuff in... that's not going quite as well as getting rid of stuff! But, it is a journey, and a process.
My progress has been somewhat derailed by two active boys with insane summer schedules, but I have big plans for more purges and changes in the fall. As I've moved through this journey, one blog in particular has continued to give me motivation and determination. Her words help me envision rooms without stuff in every corner, spaces that function for their intended use, and operating a home that decreases a teensy tiny portion of the type of damage that 4 humans can inflict on our home planet. Today, she posted some links to other minimalist type blogs - which is just what I needed to avoid doing my own decluttering - more blogs! but I thought I'd share her post, and my personal journey, with all of you. Particularly since people see me trying to give stuff away for free on Facebook... well. This would be why!
Please take a moment in your day to visit Be More with Less by Courtney Carver - and see if there is something in your home that you might be able to do without.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment