Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Groundhog Day

Today each of the boys made a googlie eyed groundhog who pops out of his foam cup/burrough. Matthew was quite proud of his... and wanted to take it in to karate class, which I vetoed because of risk of breakage/leaving it behind, but it was really touching to see him carefully carrying it in two hands slowly down the stairs. Since we put the cup into his booster seat cup holder on our after school errands he was very careful to note that the groundhog was buckeled before I was allowed to move the car.

When asked if he'd seen or heard about punxsutawney phil, at first he wasn't sure... but then developed an elaborate story about Phil's adventures at Splash Lagoon. Phil didn't like it, and it made his fur all wet and yucky. Then, phil tried again, and the water was too cold. When he put his toe in to test the water, he shivered. I guess Phil only likes Splash Lagoon in the fall, is what Matthew finally decided.


Tonight a new semi-regular evening tradition has been born. Daniel has become an amazing reader, and he now reads a book to his brother while they have their bedtime snack. I need to get the video camera out, and record it. I love the fact that Daniel can read the whole book, and that Matthew enjoys it so much, and that it sparks an interest in learning to read in Matthew. He reads his "That's not my" (usually that's not my train) books to me and his dad. We're still working on actually reading the words, but seeing the interest warms my readers heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment