is the last 'lazy day' before prepping for school starts. This summer has been a completely lazy summer. Daniel's finally sleeping in... or he was. Tomorrow I've got to start waking them up early. Good thing they're going to Aunt Melissa's!
I'm sad to see this summer end, actually. Yes, I'm ready for a break. Yes, I'm desperate for a quiet house. But I've enjoyed the late mornings, the relaxed schedule, and the reduced pressure I've allowed this summer. I broke a lot of my rules this summer - the boys have completely OD'd on TV and video games. We didn't spend as much time at the beach or Waldameer as previous summers. It has been a bit of a fight to get the boys outside each day... but it has also been a wonderful summer in other ways.
The boys baseball season was pretty fantastic. According to some selective memory issues, the boys are undefeated this season. They were on the same team, and Mark was the coach. It was great to see them really starting to hit and catch this year. Their improvement was noticeable, and their games were fun to watch. (even if Mom only made it to 3)
Soccer was good too. Matthew scored two goals in his final game of the season. 3, if you count the one from the side that didn't touch another player first, but flew over all the kids heads. :) Daniel loved playing Goalie, and was his coach's first pick in that position.
Vacations this year were so rewarding. A good 9 days with Mark's family in Virginia, including his parents this year, which was lovely. Fishing, playing, talking, laughing, baby-cuddles and boating... you can't ask for a better vacation.
Sharing my love of the ocean with my boys and my husband was also fantastic. Seeing Mark grab the boys and head to the beach every day just so he could watch them in the waves made me happy. Sharing my boys with my family was very rewarding. I know they're something special... but to have that affirmation from people I respect as good parents - that's heartwarming.
The weather in Erie was just about perfect. Some say it was too hot, and the country's drought issues are alarming, but for me I couldn't have ordered a better summer. Now, fall is in the air, and I love sitting in our private back yard and having tea in the morning, and being able to stay outside all day without sweating.
This day is going so fast... it's the kind of day that you want to immerse yourself in. I'm taking a clue from the boys today::
Daniel: "This wii game is getting boring."
Matthew: "Yep. Let's do something else."
Mom: "If you're so bored, maybe you should go outside."
Daniel: "Mom! Don't forget today is our lazy day."
Ok buddy. I remember. Never mind.
Monday, August 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment