Saturday, January 23, 2010

2010.

Already. When did that happen? Our days are busy and full... full of activity, (wii), Motion, (wii), Laughter, (wii), Hockey (finally), (wii), Karate, (wii) Eating snow, (wii) EATING, and, of course, Wii.

The boys are busy. and active, and happy. Matthew is still annoyed to miss out on the trip to Nana&Papaws that the weather delayed this holiday, so every time Mark says they're going somewhere special, Matthew asks if they're going to Papaws. Papaws? No, Matthew, not till spring. Is it Spring now? No, Matthew, it's not spring yet.

Daniel's collar bone is finally healed. He'll have another check around his birthday to make sure nothing negatively impacts his growth... but I'm confident he'll be fine. This allows more time outside, where the boys and Dar made a lovely Snowman called Charlie, and a friendly snow bunny named Chips.

He's also back at hockey, this was his 2nd Saturday at practice. We went to open skate a few weeks ago, and it was super nice to be on the ice w/o having to hold them up, and just get to watch them skate.

Karate has gone well, Daniel is learning forms that he has to memorize, then show to the teacher to earn another belt. Matthew's class is growing, and they're great fun to watch. Matthew has earned stars for learning the korean counting, and his 3 rules of concentration.

The transition this fall to a new school has gone very well. There was some confusion on Matthews part for the first 2 or 3 weeks. The decision to send them to the new school was based a lot on the idea that they would be in the same classroom this year, and that would help Matthew get comfortable with the change. I can see how confusing it was, especially since even now Mark doesn't see a difference between what Matthew does in school and what Daniel does. :) But, the first few weeks I just let Matthew think he was in 1/2 day kindergarten, which went well until the kids at school set him straight about 10 days into the year. He came home saying "Mom, the kids at school say I a prescooer, not a kindergardner." At that point, I felt I should tell him that, "Well, you are a preschooler, which is ok. You still get to learn lots, right?" He seemed fine with this decision that evening, and I assumed all was well.

The next morning we put Daniel on the bus as usual, and went back to the house to load Matthew into the car for our drive to the school. He spoke up and said "I rewwy going to miss Daniel" in a sad little voice. I said, well, not for long, we will see him in about 10 minutes... and didn't think much of it. Once we got to the final few turns into school, Matthew spoke up again: "I fink you are going da wong way, mommie" At which time I realized that Matthew's clever brain realized that Preschool=Montessori in the woods, so he couldn't go to Belle Valley and be in preschool. So, once we talked about it some more, either he figured it out, or it stopped being important, because he seems to have settled in just fine.

There may come a time where I include pictures here again, but there may not. I hope to keep up more regularly with the stories that show our daily events, but I may not. I kept a calendar of clever, silly, strange comments and events in our lives consistently until about mid-year last year, so I think I might like to use this blog to do the same, instead of the calendars I used to use. It's valuable, and interesting to write this stuff down, but I hope to find a way to include the things that might be embarrassing later in a non-public way... but that's more blog-knowledge than I have right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment